4th July 2016, Jaipur
ICAR-Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture (CRIDA), Hyderabad, ICAR- Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute, Avikanagar along with DAC, MoA&FW, Rajasthan state Agriculture Department jointly organized Interface meetings on enhancing the preparedness for agriculture contingencies such as mid-season droughts, high rainfall events, during kharif 2016 for Rajasthan here today.
Shri SK Hudda, Joint Director (Agri), informed about the monsoon scenario during 2105-16 and the interventions taken to overcome the drought scenario during late season. He also explained about the preparedness meetings, advisories issued to farming community during the crop growing season etc. Based on the feedback, it is being advised to farmers to adopt mixed and inter cropping systems during this year.
Dr Ch Srinivasa Rao, Director, ICAR-CRIDA said contingency plans for all districts of Rajasthan are available in public domain and urged to use and modify based on the local conditions.
Senior Officials of local ICAR Institutes, Agricultural Universities, representatives from KVKs, officials of Department of Agriculture, Govt. of Rajsthan also participated in the meeting.
- Priority to be given for interventions to overcome mid-season/ late season drought situations
- Utilizing the harvested water in farm ponds for life saving irrigations during dry spells in view of the available water in farm ponds
- Promoting farm ponds for harvesting water from greenhouses which could be utilized for irrigating vegetables in green houses
- Encouraging farming community to make use of pipes for water distribution
- Deep ploughing to be encouraged for moth cultivation
- Strip intercropping with farm mechanization to be promoted
- Universities may work for redesign of greenhouses considering the high speed winds in the regions. Tree based systems as wind barriers could be tried to reduce the speed of winds.
- New varieties/ hybrids for pearl millet, guar are to be promoted extensively. State dept officials are advised to take up the seed available with state seed corporation for promotion.
- Efforts are to be made increase the cropping intensity under diggies.
- With diggies being promoted in the state on a large scale, area under irrigation could be enhanced under irrigation with saved water and by changing the crop pattern.
- A pre rabi meeting to be conducted at ICAR-CAZRI for better planning in the rai season also.
- Custom hiring centers experiences in NICRA under TDC and AICRPDA are to be shared with department officials.
- The centers of NICRA by AICRPDA and KVK are to be used as learning centers for both district officials and farming communities. Department officials are advised to take farmers on visit to these centers under ATMA programme.
- The location specific advantages such Banswara for Mango etc are to develop further and focus be given to bring in better management practices for higher income and better livelihoods.
(Source: ICAR-Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture (CRIDA), Hyderabad)