24th September, 2014
In consonance with the call of Hon’ble Prime Minister, ICAR has geared up its countrywide network to launch “Swachh Bharat Mission” from 25th September 2014. The mission is being launched on the concept of Mahatma Gandhi’s vision, “Sanitation is more important than independence.”
ICAR has prepared an action plan for implementation across its 99 establishments and 639 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs) functioning at grass root level in various districts of the country. Following major activities have been identified for immediate action:
- Employees will take ‘Swachhta Shapath’ (cleanliness oath) on 2nd October 2014 in specially organized functions. People would undertake to dedicate 100 hours every year towards ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’.
- Establishments will undertake initiatives for improvement in cleanliness, not only in their own premises but also in the surrounding areas.
- To improve cleanliness of rural environment, Krishi Vigyan Kendras to focus more on proper utilization of crop residues.
- Animal houses, poultry cages and surrounding areas must be kept clean for minimizing risks of contamination and diseases.
- To take stock of cleanliness in residential colonies of ICAR establishments and adopt measures on a sustained basis for improvement.
- KVKs will include the talk on need for cleanliness in farmer’s contact programmes.
- ‘Farmers’ Day’ and ‘Field Day’ events organized in ICAR establishments will necessarily include awareness campaigns and contests etc. on the theme of cleanliness.
- Websites and Facebook pages of ICAR establishments will carry messages relating to ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’.
Dr. S. Ayyappan, Secretary, DARE and DG, ICAR in his message on this occasion hoped ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’ will provide a fresh and much needed motivation to cleanliness activities for enhancement in institutional performance.