A brainstorming meet on application of metagenomics and microbiomes to augment fish production and productivity was held on 21 June, 2016 at ICAR-CIFA, Bhubaneswar.
Dr. P. Jayasankar, Director, ICAR-CIFA highlighted the relevance of metagenomics and microbiomes in facilitating faster growth, better immunity and disease resistance of fish, which all play vital role in higher production and productivity as well as in ensuring higher farm income.
- Understand the role of nutrient-phytoplankton-feed chain in pond culture systems.
- Collect base line information on most productive or less productive aquaculture ponds.
- Study the technical and economic efficacy of probiotics in freshwater aquaculture systems.
- Study nutrient dynamics in freshwater system, Microcosm and mesocosm.
- Research on soil water interface vis a vis microbiome diversity and pond health.
- Review the literature on metagenomics, microbiomes and their application in aquaculture.
- Conduct interdivisional in-house study on a project mode.
(Source: ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture, Bhubaneswar)