The ICAR-Central Institute of Post-Harvest Engineering and Technology, Ludhiana, Punjab has developed a "Low-Cost Portable Ozone based Fruits and Vegetable Washer-Cum-Purifier (named Ozo-C) technology" to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Highlighting the technology's unique features, Dr. R.K.Singh, Director, ICAR-CIPHET, Ludhiana stated that it is an excellent ozonator which removes the pesticides, bacteria, viruses and harmful chemicals from fruits and vegetable, sea foods and meat's surface to make them hygiene. He emphasized on the working of the system on the principle of silent “Corona Discharge Method” that uses electric discharge for producing ozone by splitting the normal oxygen molecules in the air into single atoms. These atoms recombine with air (O2) to form ozone (O3).
The device designed and developed by Dr. Ranjeet Singh, Dr. K. Narsaiah and Ms. Surya Tushir under the guidance of Dr. R.K. Singh, Director, ICAR-CIPHET has been made with a unit cost of Rs. 3,500.
Features and usage of Ozo-C:
1. This Ozone based device comprises of PVC box, air blower, ozone generator, ozone air distribution system, timer and On-Off Switch.
2. Take a container and put the fruits and vegetables in it.
3. Fill the container till water level is above fruits and vegetables to be cleaned. Dip the silicon tube with air stone into the container.
4. Set the time of operation (15 -30 minutes based on commodity) and switch On the power supply.
5. The device will automatically stop after the completion of the set time. Remove the stone and throw the treated water.
6. Finally, clean and rinse the fruits and vegetables with fresh running water.
7. The cleaned fruits and vegetables are now ready to use for consumption. The items can be stored for later use.
8. The device is compact in design, requiring a small space of 28 cm length, 24 cm width and 10 cm height and weight only 1.8 Kg.
9. Its ozone output is 100-200 mg/h and its output air pressure is 0.2 kg/cm2.
10. The device operates on a 220 V-240 AC single phase power supply.
The Ozone technology based Ozo-C is the need of the hour as fruits and vegetable safety and quality have become more important now in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. The compact device is useful and can play a vital role in every kitchen, hotels, small scale fruits and vegetables processors and vendors to reduce the risk of infection, especially, during the pandemic period.
(Source: ICAR-Central Institute of Post-Harvest Engineering and Technology, Ludhiana, Punjab)