IINRG, Ranchi organized Stakeholders Conference
Ranchi, 20 September, 2010
Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums, Ranchi, organized a conference of stakeholders on ‘Issues related to lac production’ on 20th September, 2010, on the eve of 87th Foundation Day of Institute in collaboration with NABARD, Ranchi. The two-day event was attended by 130 participants including scientists, lac farmers, entrepreneurs, exporters, officials from NGOs, Forest Department and Financial Institutions from Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh. A leading shellac manufacturer from Germany presented importer’s perspective on the issues. The conference was inaugurated by Sh. Wilfred Lakra, IAS, Former-Advisor to Governor (Jharkhand). An MoU was signed between IINRG, Ranchi and MDM Corporation, New Delhi on transfer of technology of Lac based multi-coloured dental plate.
The following recommendations emerged from the nineteen talks delivered and deliberations during concluding session:
Major Recommendations :
- Need for policy paper on lac and establishment of Lac Directorate/Board.
- Lac should be treated as farm produce and free movement should be allowed within the country.
- Research for tackling lac crop failure due to climate change especially in Jharkhand and West Bengal.
- Development of information network for crop management and availability of broodlac.
- Financial support including credit and crop insurance with Government subsidy for supporting farmers; price support to farmers during bumper production.
- Boost to domestic consumption including lac based cottage industries for rural employment
- Need to promote private investment in lac production on contractual basis with investment in action research for developing knowledge partnership amongst different stakeholders.
- Measures to insure sustainability in production, stability in supply and price.
(Source: NAIP Sub-Project on Mass Media Mobilization, DIPA with inputs from IINRG, Ranchi, Jharkhand)