Monsoon Watch (IMD)
- The country as a whole received 6% deficit rainfall during 1 June to 2 August.
- The images showing progressive rainfall situation and the latest satellite picture are shown in Fig. 1 & 2.
Significant weather observations (IMD)
- Jharkhand received heavy rainfall (51 mm) during last 24 hours.
- The southwest monsoon has been active over Chhattisgarh and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Rain/thundershowers has occurred at most places over Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, East Madhya Pradesh, Gangetic West Bengal, Jharkhand, Coastal Karnataka and Kerala; at many places over Konkan & Goa, Bihar, Odisha, West Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram & Tripura and Andaman & Nicobar Islands; at a few places over East Rajasthan, Sub Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim, Coastal Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Maharashtra, Arunachal Pradesh and Assam & Meghalaya.
Weather Warning during next 5 days (IMD)
- 04 August : Heavy to very heavy rainfall would occur at isolated places over East Madhya Pradesh.
- 05 August : Heavy rainfall would occur at isolated places over Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, West Madhya Pradesh, Sub Himalayan
- West Bengal & Sikkim, Assam & Meghalaya, Madhya Maharashtra, Konkan & Goa, Telangana and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- 06 August : Heavy rainfall would occur at isolated places over Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sub Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- 07 August : Heavy rainfall would occur at isolated places over Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, West Uttar Pradesh, Sub Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- The weather outlook for the period of seven days i.e. 03 to 11 August 2015 forecasted (Provided by Real-Time Weather Forecasts from NOAA/NCEP collected from http://monsoondata.org/wx2/) heavy rainfall along the west coast, East Madhya Pradesh, Vidarbha, Chhattisgarh and Odisha, Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal & Sikkim and North eastern states. (Fig. 3).
Agricultural activities (AICRPAM-CRIDA)
Rainfall situation: Marathwada region is reeling under severe drought conditions with 57% deficit in rainfall. Madhya Maharashtra, Konkan & Goa and Vidarbha regions are facing 27%, 25% and 22% deficit, respectively.
Progress in kharif sowing: 78% of normal kharif sown area is covered so far in the entire state under all crops as on 31 July. Cereal crops have covered only 49% of normal kharif sown area; Pulses: 68%, Sugar crops: 42.5% , Oil seeds : 106% and Cotton: 107% compared to the normal.
Crop contingency plans:
Due to deficit rainfall in region, following measures are recommended
- Undertake light hoeing, mulch with crop residue to conserve soil moisture.
- Apply protective irrigation (drip or sprinkle method) to earlier sown crop like cotton in view of prevailing water stress condition.
- Irrigation can be applied by drip/ sprinkler method to increase water use efficiency.
- Delayed/unsown areas can still be accommodated with adopting suitable crops/crop varieties (as mentioned below).
- Pigeonpea (AKT 8811, Vipula, PKV- Tara and BSMR-736 with closer 60x20 cm spacing).
- Intercropping systems include pigeon pea + soybean (1:2 / 2:4), sunflower + pigeon pea (2:1) or in soybean after every 6 or 9 rows one row of pigeon pea may be sown.
- Alternative crops include pearl millet (PKV Raj Shradha, Saburi), sesame (AKT64), sunflower(PKV SF-9, PKVSH-27, KBSH-1) and castor (AKC-1, GCH-4,5,6 & DCH-117).
- Undertake weeding/hoeing in early sown crops.
- Top dressing of fertilizers to earlier sowings at adequate soil moisture condition.
- Undertake transplanting of rice in East Vidarbha utilizing the realized rainfall.
- Priority should be given for in situ/ex situ rainwater harvesting during the remaining part of the season.
- Maintain plant population or decrease plant population if wilting occurs.
- Organic mulching with crop residues in case of newly plant orchards.
- Hoeing is recommended to conserve soil moisture
(Source:Email: email@example.com, CRIDA, Hyderabad )
Updated on 03-08-2015 05:45 PM
Weather Based Agro Advisory 2014