Deep water rice production technology for seasonal deep waterlogged areas
- Name of machines/products/variety developed: Deep water rice production technology for seasonal deep waterlogged areas
- Application/use: Deep waterlogged areas (>1m surface waterlogging)
- Description / features of the machinery/product/variety developed :In some parts of the coastal areas, prolonged waterlogging (> 1m) during rainy season reduces tillering and growth of normal rice varieties. Sometimes flash flood inundates the standing crop at any stage of growth for 8-10 days at a stretch, resulting in heavy mortality. The crop is damaged completely if this situation occurs at early vegetative stage. So proper establishment of crop before onset of flooding and adoption of deep waterlogging tolerant rice varieties are of paramount importance to realize net return from the crop. Hence, deep water rice production technology for seasonal deep waterlogged areas was developed.
- Input (equipment/plant and machinery / raw material / land / investment /man power / power needed :Seeds of deep water rice varieties (Hangseswari, Saraswati, Ambika, Sabita), fertilizers and necessary agro-inputs
- Output capacity : Improved deep water rice cultivar ‘Hangseswari’ produced 2.4-2.5 t/ha yield in kharif season in deep waterlogged situation
- Specific benefits and impact: Higher and stable income from deep waterlogged areas which represent 3.9 mha in eastern India. Earlier the seeds of improved deep water rice cultivar ‘Hangseswari’ was not in State Seed Chain. Now based on recommendation of the institute, the Orissa Government released the variety to put under State Seed Chain and adopted for seed production in State Farm to supply to farmers on large scale. Based on survey in kharif 2009 it was revealed that about 180 farmers in 105 ha of land adopted deep water rice.
- Unit cost: Cost of cultivation per unit area is Rs 10,000/ha