The division is mandated to plan, coordinate, and monitor R&D programmes and serve as an information repository in Agricultural Engineering. It is involved in development and demonstration of technologies related to mechanization of production and post-production agriculture using conventional and non-conventional energy sources and includes mechanization of irrigation and drainage activities; and post-harvest and value addition of agricultural products and by products. It has six institutes, six AICRPs, three AINPs, five CRPs, and 36 EMF Research Projects under its jurisdiction.
To make Indian agriculture sustainable, profitable and competitive enterprise through engineering interventions of farm mechanization, value addition and energy management in production and post-harvest operations.
To develop and introduce need-based and region-specific engineering technologies to achieve sustainable enhanced productivity and profitability of different farming systems.
To plan, coordinate, and monitor R&D programs and serve as an information repository in Agricultural Engineering
- Development of precision machinery and strategies for carrying out timely and efficient agricultural operations in irrigated, rain-fed and hill agriculture, horticulture, livestock and fisheries production.
- Increasing work efficiency for human, animal and mechanical systems and reduction of occupational hazards in agricultural operations.
- Energy management and utilization of conventional and non-conventional energy sources in agricultural production and processing activities.
- Utilization of surplus agricultural residues for decentralized power generation.
- Reduction of post-harvest losses, value addition to agricultural produce, processing and utilization of by-products.
- Application of robotics and drones in production agriculture, electromagnetic waves in food processing.
- Post-harvest management of natural resins and gums ; and extraction, processing and value addition of natural fibers
- Creation of functional/nutraceuticals foods and intelligent packaging systems.
- 300 Technologies Commercialized/Licensed
- 142 Agro-Processing Centres created
- India’s first Nano cellulose plant established.
- Protein isolate power plant established.
- 59 Food Testing Laboratories Approved
- 04 Referral Testing Laboratories being Created
- Post-harvest Loss Assessment for India done Twice
- Storage Loss Assessment being done
- Technology & Machinery Demonstration Mela an Annual Phenomenon
- Established National Agricultural Bioinformatics Grid (NABG)
- Developed and initiated MIS and FMS in ICAR
- Implemented ICAR ERP system
Future Outlook (Plan for Next 10 Years)
- Continue the current levels of good R&D and Extension Works
- 10 Regional Centres of CIAE and CIPHET to fast track the levels of production & post-production mechanization
- @ 200 Food Processing Training cum Incubation Centres to empower rural women and youth
- @ 200 Farm Machinery Operation cum Maintenance Training Centres to empower youth and improve self-employment
- @ 60 Small Farm Mechanization Demonstration Centres for regional crops