This Section was established in the year 1980 and has continued its forward march in the field of extension education activities of this Institute. It has created a significant impact on farmers and other stakeholders by way of imparting training to poultry farmers/entrepreneurs, consultancy in poultry value-chain, participation in exhibitions, organizing farm School on AIR, off -farm technology assessment, supply of improved germplasms and publication of books/bulletins, etc. The scientists of this section are also engaged in research and teaching.,
On-going project: Poultry Rearing Practices at High Altitude
- In order to provide self-employment, household income and nutritional security through poultry farming in hill area, evaluation of the performance of improved diversified poultry germplasm viz. Turkey Virat, CARIBRO Dhanaraja, CARI Sonali and CARI Priya developed at this institute was carried out at Mukteshwar in Kumaon region (altitude 2000 metres) and encouraging results have been obtained. Some of these field tested germplasms have found usage in establishing about 15 small scale poultry units in the region. .
(B) Post-Graduate Teaching:
Scientists of the section are also involved in Post- Graduate teaching and guiding students of the IVRI Deemed University.
(C) Extension Education:
- Farmers’ training: A large number of poultry farmers/ entrepreneurs/ unemployed youth/ army soldiers, State AH department, ATMA and NABARD, etc. sponsored candidates were imparted training on poultry farm management. (registration form)
- Technology assessment and refinement: Adopted one village panchayat Navdia Harkishan in district Bareilly, (U.P.). Besides, technical guidance is being given to the poultry farms established around Bareilly district. Performance of CARI commercial broiler (CARIBRO Dhanraja) supplied to the farmers was also evaluated.
- Developed state poultry development plan for Arunachal Pradesh and Tripura.
- Provided complete project on layer and quail to ARU, Ministry of Defence, Almora for the benefit of jawans at high altitude.
- Supply of commercial germplasm: Supplied more than 10 lacs of improved broiler germplasms to the farmers.
- Consultancy services: Consultancy services are being provided to poultry farmers, defence organization and various State Govts., etc. through post/e-mail/phone and in-person on various aspects of poultry farming across the country.
- Organization of kukkut Vigyan mela and participation in exhibitions: Kukkut Vigyan Mela is organized at the Institute on its foundation day. Also organized 28 Kukkut Vigyan Melas in U.P., Delhi and Odisha. Participated in 65 agricultural exhibitions in different parts of the country.
- Communication through mass media: Organized 12 Farm Schools on various aspects of diversified poultry farming in collaboration with AIR, Rampur and Bareilly with about 3600 registered participants. The Section issued several press releases and advertisements to local and national dailies, journals and souvenirs including radio talks on Akashwani and Doordarshan.
- Publications: Institute Annual Report, Quarterly Newsletter, Books, Extension Bulletins etc. on different aspects of poultry production and processing are produced.Some publications are distributed free of cost and some may be obtained on reasonable prices.
||Principal Scientist & Head